Upcoming Event: Virtual Listening Session
We are asking ALL participants to register for this listening session by Wednesday April 21, 2021 using the link below:
Please spread the word and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
What is the State Youth Advisory Board (SYAB)?The purpose of the SYAB is to provide a youth perspective and partner with Social Services Administration, child-serving administrators, staff, and providers in the child welfare decision making process and challenges facing youth in foster care.
How do they accomplish their purpose?Board members meet once a month at the Social Services Administration office in the Department of Human Services in Baltimore, Maryland. Members develop Teen Conference, engage in leadership and public speaking trainings, and provide input and testimonials on legislative and regulatory policies.
What’s the benefit for joining SYAB?
- Networking with public officials, youth, and social service administration
- Developing leadership and advocacy skills
- Gaining Community Service Hours
- Traveling across the State of Maryland
- Influencing changes within Maryland's Child Welfare System
- Participating in Legislative Session in Annapolis, Maryland
How Do I Join?
- Board members must be 14-21 years old.
- Members must be current or alumni of the Maryland's Child Welfare System.
- Members must have some experience on their local youth advisory board.