High School Information

High School Information Need information on high school requirements or request high school transcripts, contact your local school district here:


What is FAFSA? FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is, a part of the U.S. Department of Education and the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation. To learn more or to complete an application, visit You can fill out your FAFSA October 1-June 30th
  • The deadline for MD is March 1.
  • Each Institution has their preferred deadline, contact your financial aid office today!
I Need Help Filling out my FAFSA! Visit Education Quest’s website to learn more about completing your FAFSA. Education Quest has great resources, such as a document checklist, an in-depth tutorial, and a video demo.

MD Education & Training Voucher (ETV) Information

What is ETV? The Education and Training Voucher program (ETV) provides foster youth up to $5,000 a year for college and vocational training based on financial need. Eligible recipients have a maximum of 5 years, up to their 26th birthday once enrolled before their 21st birthday. ETV is administered in MD by Foster Care to Success who provide an array of services for students such as: Coaching, mentoring, budgeting, Care Packages and other scholarships To apply for ETV funds or get more information visit their website at MD Education & Training Voucher (ETV) FAQs
  1. How do I apply for the Education & Training Voucher (ETV)?
  2. How much money do I get from ETV?
    • Students may receive up to $5,000 a year for qualified school related expenses for full time students and up to $2,500 a year for part time students. Funding is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students who show a need.
  3. Can I lose funding with ETV?
    • Yes. Funding is dependent on the student making satisfactory progress towards completion of their program and providing documentation needed for the program. You must have been accepted into or be enrolled in a degree, certificate or other accredited program at a college, university, technical, vocational school.
  4. What happens if an ETV student withdraws from classes or drops out of school?
    • ETV awards funds based upon college/vocational school attendance, and the number of credits students are taking. If they withdraw from any classes, they MUST inform ETV immediately as their funds may need to be adjusted
  5. What is Foster Care to Success?
    • Foster Care to Success is a nonprofit organization with whom DHS contracts to administer the MD ETV program. ETV coordinators make regular contact with students to check on their progress and goals.
  6. What can I spend the funds on?
    • Tuition and school fees (at a private institution or training program); Room and board; Off-campus housing; Books; uniforms or supplies; Childcare; and Transportation.
  7. Do I have to pay back the funds?
    • No.
  8. What is the maximum number of years do I remain eligible for ETV?
    • Eligible recipients remain eligible for a maximum of five years up until the age of 26.
  9. I am interested in attending a college or training program in another state, can I use ETV?
    • Yes.
  10. Why does Foster Care to Success need official transcripts for ETV?
    • To be eligible for ETV funding, students must show proof that they are advancing towards their educational degree or certification. Therefore, ETV requires an official transcript for each term a student is funded. ETV funding will NOT be disbursed until the student’s transcript has been received.

Additional ETV FAQs are found here:

Maryland Tuition Waiver

What is the Maryland Tuition Waiver? The Maryland Tuition Waiver provides a waiver for tuition costs for both credit bearing and non-credit bearing courses, and mandatory fees at any Maryland public institution of higher education. The waiver is available to eligible individuals for up to 10 years, once enrolled before or on their 25th birthday. For more information visit Tuition Waiver for Foster Care Recipients. All foster care recipients must complete a FAFSA to initiate the waiver and, do so to remain eligible. To see if you may be eligible contact your local independent living coordinator or the MD DHS Education Specialist: 410-767-7663 Tuition Waiver FAQ’s
  1. How do I apply for the MD Tuition Waiver?
    • There is no application. In order to access the waiver, a FAFSA needs to be completed first. The student must also inform their institution’s financial aid office of their eligibility of the waiver.
  2. How much money can I get for Tuition Waiver?
    • There is no set amount allotted per student. The MD Tuition Waiver provides an exemption from tuition and mandatory fees at a Public MD Institution.
  3. Can I lose the Tuition Waiver?
    • Yes. Like most financial aid, students who fail to drop a course by the withdrawal deadline can lose their financial aid.
  4. How long do I have to use the waiver?
    • An eligible foster care recipient remains eligible for a period of 10 years from their initial enrollment or upon completion of a bachelor’s degree if they began using the waiver on or before their 25th birthday.
  5. If I get married, am I still eligible for the Tuition Waiver?
    • Yes. Marriage while in foster care or upon exist from foster care does not bar an individual from access of the waiver.
  6. My school informed me I am not eligible but I was in foster care, what do I do?
    • Contact the DHS/SSA Education Specialist here (hyper link contact information).
  7. I was adopted by a relative who lives in Maryland but was in foster care in another state, am I eligible for the Tuition Waiver?
    • No. Eligible recipients of the MD Tuition Waiver must have been placed in foster care by a MD DHS/SSA local department of social services. Individuals who were placed with relatives in MD via an interstate compact from another state are not eligible.
  8. Can I use the Tuition Waiver at any college/university in MD?
    • No. The Tuition Waiver can only be used at a Public MD college or university (insert link here for public colleges)
  9. What majors can I study with the Tuition Waiver?
    • All majors, including non-credit bearing courses and certificate programs are covered under the waiver.
  10. Why is my school asking me to provide court documentation?
    • To be eligible for the MD Tuition Waiver, an individual may not need to provide court documentation. However, the federal government requires that if an individual is seeking independent status based on their FAFSA response to question #53, the institution will need to verify this information. Contact the DHS/SSA Education Specialist for more information: 410-767-7663